Crack Proofing Phantom 3 Motor Mount Shell

Discussion in 'DJI Phantom 3 Custom Mods' started by gustofusion, Feb 26, 2016.

1. gustofusion

gustofusion Key Holder
    Staff Member Registered User

Media:
    Albums:
    In the photo below I applied Plast-Aid to a brand new Phantom 3 Pro by taking off the shell and motors from their mounts. I was worried from all the reports of shells cracking on new phantoms. I mixed up some Plast-Aid guessing at the amount that I would need. After mixing it very well I applied it as seen in the photo making sure to apply if all around areas that may crack based on photos I’ve see of others who were damaged.

The Plast-Aid allows you about 5 minutes of work time, up until about 3 minutes its very runny, similar to a thick glue, at about 4 minutes it begins to firm up and at about 5 minutes it becomes pretty firm and un-workable. At about 8 minutes it begins to get very hot and starts bonding with any plastic it is in contact with and after about 12 minutes it has finished the bonding process and cools down. Plast-Aid is VERY strong and durable. I would venture to say it is stronger than the shell material by a factor of 10…. Very Strong Stuff.

Plast-Aid is available here
    IMG_0237.jpg
    I applied Plast-Aid around all 4 motor mount areas just like in the photo and have not seen any cracks or hints of cracks what so ever. I highly recommend it.

2. jackson

jackson Member

Looks like a pretty good solution, did yours crack or was this a preventative measure?

3. Drdrone

Drdrone Well-Known Member

Albums:
    There is another product called bondic, it has a uv light you shine on the glue that hardens it. I have not tried it but it looks like it would also do well. Sort of like a glue stick but hardens under the uv light only.